Since 1953, Miller Pipeline has been a leader in building and maintaining America’s infrastructure as a premier underground pipeline construction and repair contractor. Our workforce is made up of highly trained and skilled employees totaling over 3,500 with office locations in 20 states. While continually investing in gas infrastructure programs, Miller Pipeline’s revenues have continued to grow year over year.
We are currently seeking an analytical Payroll Specialist to join our Accounting & Finance team!
At Miller Pipeline you will gain:
- Opportunities for advancement;
- Competitive wages and industry-leading benefits including health insurance and retirement plan;
- A team-oriented atmosphere centered around our core values of Safety, Quality, Commitment, and Reputation;
- Employee recognition programs, Employee Care Fund, and more.
The Payroll Specialist will be responsible for working in a team environment to process full-cycle union payroll using a homegrown ERP system. Responsibilities include union auditing, certified payroll reporting, processing of payroll, along with other payroll duties that would include facilitating various payroll wage verification, process documentation and employee file maintenance.
Payroll Specialist Main Responsibilities Include the Following:
- Review electronic time submissions in the time and attendance ERP system, wage computations, and other information to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies, missing information, and question the reasonableness of data.
- Collaborate with Payroll team members on multi-state payroll processing for approximately 3,200 union employees and 300 non-union support staff and managers.
- Identify key payroll issues and develop process improvement solutions.
- Meet strict deadlines for multiple transactions; stay organized to complete each task in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Maintain employee payroll records such as exemptions, transfers, and pay rates.
- Respond promptly to employees with payroll related questions.
- Manage monthly maintenance of union benefit and rate changes based on contract updates.
- Report and maintain all certified payroll requirements for the company.
- Collaborate with external auditors on frequent union benefit audits; reconcile deficiencies.
- Assist in preparing monthly union contribution payments for multiple benefit plans.
Payroll Specialist Required Qualifications:
- Minimum high school diploma (or equivalent) plus 2+ years accounting experience or experience in an analytical role
- Analytical ability; run reports, evaluate data, resolve discrepancies
- Knowledge of process improvement solutions
- Clear, tactful written and oral communication skills with all levels of the organization and outside customers, as needed
- Ability to work in a hybrid (in-office/remote) collaborative team environment with dependence on teammates to meet deadlines
- Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, especially Outlook and Excel; interest and ability to learn new software and/or web portals quickly and effectively
- detail oriented, organized in a fast-paced environment, prioritizing effectively
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality in handling employees’ personal data
Payroll Specialist Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in accounting, finance, or a related field
- Working knowledge of an ERP system
- Exceptionally detail oriented, organized in a fast-paced environment, ability to prioritize effectively
- Experience working with union employees